- The Air Training Corps
- Squadron History
- Rank Structure
- Chain Of Command
- Commanding Officers
- Civilian Committee
- Aviation Training
- First Aid
- Duke of Edinburgh Award
- Adventure Training
- Social and Fund-Raising
- Target Shooting
- Torquay Boxing Day Dip
The history of 200 (Torquay) Squadron can be traced back to Thursday 5th September 1940, which saw the Mayor, Alderman L.E. Currey chairing the inaugural meeting of the Corps. This was followed by an appeal for donations and financial aid to provide the necessary uniforms.
No 200 Squadron of the Air Defence Cadet Corps (ADCC) as it was known held by its first parade on Saturday 19th October 1940, with the unit being initially limited to 150 boys aged 16 to 18.
The No 3 initial training wing (ITW) of the Royal Airforce Aircrew Training Scheme was based in the Strand area of Torbay, with its Headquarters in the St. James building on the harbourside and ATC parades being held in the old Greys Cars Garage in Torwood Street with its HQ at St. Vincents, Meadfoot Rd.
A detached flight (No 1528) was founded at the Boys Grammar School.
It was on the 5th February 1941 that the Air Defence Cadet Corps was taken over by the Royal Air Force and re-named The Air Training Corps and the 200 Squadron's permitted strength was raised to 200 cadets. 5th May 1942, the squadron was honoured to take part in a parade past HM King George VI and HRH Queen Elizabeth.
Royal March Past
The 200 Squadron was disbanded in 1946 and incorporated into 1528 Detached Flight which was then granted Squadron status, moving into one of the huts in the top playground at the Boy's Grammar School off Barton Road. 1528 Squadron operated until in 1979, when the South Devon Technical College was expanding, the Squadron had to find new accommodation. This sited at Shiphay and was formally opened by the then Mayor, Councillor L. Howard on 8th December 1979. At this time the Squadron was re-allocated its founder number of 200 as it had once again become the Town Squadron.
In 1996, the Squadron moved to new purpose built accommodation still on the Grammar School Site which it shared with the Army Cadet Force.
On Friday 26th May 2000, 200 Squadron was formally adopted by the Borough of Torbay and at that time had some 60 cadets, 3 Officers, 2 Warrant Officers, 3 Civilian Instructors and 1 Chaplain. The adoption scroll was presented by Mayor Colin Charlwood to the Officer Commanding, Flight Lieutenant Paul Vincent.
On Saturday 1st July 2000, the Squadron celebrated the 60th anniversary of its founding with a Service of Dedication and heading a parade formed from all units of the combined Devon and Somerset Wing ATC. The salute being taken by Air Vice Marshal A.G.B. Vallance OBE M.Phil, RAF Chief of Staff, HQ Personnel and Training Command. The day concluded with a grand dinner and dance at the Riviera Conference centre, attended by approx 700 people.
Summer 2003, The grammar school underwent a project to build new accommodation for the two cadet services, still within the grounds of the grammar school, allowing the grammar school to grow. On Tuesday 25th July 2006, 200 (Torquay) Squadron saw its brand new purpose built Joint Cadet Centre (JCC) officially open. The opening was carried out by The Lord Lieutenant of Devon Eric Dancer and was attended by The Chairman of Torbay Borough Council and by Air Chief Marshall Sir Michael Stear KCB CBE DLMA FRAef RAF (Ret'd) President of Devon and Somerset Wing Air Training Corps.
Joint Cadet Centre Opening, July 2006
On 1st April 2011, due to low numbers 876 (Brixham) Squadron was reclassified as a detached flight under Torquay Squadron making the unit 200 (Brixham) Detached Flight once again, with Flying Officer Matt Reece posted as its first Officer in Charge.
On 5th May 2012, Cadets and Staff from 200 Squadron supported by other squadrons of Devon and Somerset Wing ATC paraded through Torquay to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the visit to the town by His Majesty King George VI and Queen Elizabeth in 1942, where His Majesty took the salute during a march past of 200 Squadron members and No. 3 Initial Training Wing. On this day over 500 cadets and staff of the Air Training Corps were inspected by His Royal Highness Duke of Gloucester which was followed by a fly past from a Spitfire and Hurricane of the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) and a march through Torquay town centre giving an eyes right past the Duke of Gloucester.
Royal Parade, July 2012
Page last updated 12 June 2018.