Next Induction Evenings
200 (Torquay) Squadron are hosting two induction evenings this week for young people aged 12 - 17 (school year 8 and above) this week on Tuesday 19th and Thursday 21st January from 7.00pm to 9.00pm. Click on Joining if you would like to know more and get in contact with us!
Added on Sunday 17 January 2016
Boxing Day Dip 2015
Despite the low tide approx. 100-200 participants braved the chilly sea with around 400-500 people supporting this morning’s Boxing Day Dip at Corbyn Head beach. 200 (Torquay) Squadron Air Training Corps had chosen Rowcroft Hospice as this year’s charity with them being seen as a very worthwhile cause for what they do locally. The drier forecast and milder air temperatures this December may have helped to boost the attendance to this event this time around. Closing on 11.00am the Chairman of Torbay Council, Councillor Ray Hill addressed the participants by giving a few words of encouragement before initiating the 10 second countdown. On standby were also the HM Coastguard team and inshore dinghy from the RNLI Torbay Lifeboat crew to watch over the participants as they made their way into the water with the extra challenge of a few prominent rocks due to the low tide this year. A very good turnout to what it always an enjoyable annual tradition.
We’d like to thank the HM Coastguard, Torbay Lifeboat, The Grand Hotel and everyone who supported the Dip or got involved. View the Facebook event page to see the photos of the action.
Added on Saturday 26 December 2015
Congratulations to Cadets Liam Finnigan, Vidusha Wijesinghe and Joe Hill who have all been promoted to the rank of Cadet Corporal. Good luck in your new roles within the squadron!
Added on Tuesday 7 July 2015
Boxing Day Dip 2014 and Christmas Closing Times
The Boxing Day Dip is an annual event organized by No. 200 (Torquay) Squadron Air Training Corps and is enjoyed by both members and the general public in aid of raising funds for the unit as well as an additional chosen charity. The charity selected for this year is Rowcroft Hospice and all proceeds will be split 50% between both organisations.
The Dip will take place from Corbyn Head Beach, Torquay (opposite the Grand Hotel) on Friday 26th December 2014. Participants and supporters should aim to arrive for 10.30am ready to enter the sea at 11.00am. Tasteful fancy dress is encouraged and changing facilities will be kindly provided for participants in the Grand Hotel after the event.
There is no cost to get involved as either a participant or just to come along to support your local Air Cadet unit. If you would like to join in a Sponsorship form can be downloaded here.
Please note that we close over the Christmas Holidays and dates are as follows:
- 200 (Torquay) Squadron will close on Thursday 18th December 2014 and will reopen on Tuesday 6th January 2015.
- 200 (Brixham) Detached Flight will close on Monday 15th December 2014 and will reopen on Monday 5th January 2015.
We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Added on Friday 5 December 2014
A Week of Achievements
This week has been an impressive achievement for 200 (Torquay) Squadron.
- 11 cadets completed the First Class Cadet basic training course, which includes their general service knowledge of the Air Training Corps and Royal Air Force, map reading skills, emergency first aid, principles airmanship and radio communications. 16 new cadets have joined the Squadron's Training Flight this week and will follow in their footsteps.
- At the weekend 5 cadets from 200 (Torquay) Squadron and 3 from 1322 (Newton Abbot) Squadron attend a St John Ambulance Youth First Aid course which is a 12 hour intensive training period where the cadets learn to provide first aid skills including the recovery position, giving CPR, treating cuts, wounds and burns, and dealing with possible heart attacks. All 8 cadets passed the course and are entitled to wear the red first aid badge to show their achievement.
- Also at the weekend 6 cadets from 200 (Torquay) Squadron joined other members of the Devon & Somerset Wing Music Flight to compete in the South West Region Band Competition. This comprised of 8 competitions and Devon & Somerset Wing placed 1st in 7 of the disciplines including Best Turnout, Drum Major, Marching Band, Percussion, Fanfare, Ensemble and Solo Drummer. They will now go on to compete at a national level against the 5 other Air Cadet Regions at the end of November.
Congratulations are in order for all cadets and staff involved in making these successes possible!
Added on Sunday 5 October 2014